Monday 24 June 2013

86,400 seconds

While on Twitter the other day I was casually scrolling through people's tweets, reading maybe every fourth post and not really paying attention at all. One of the only accounts that I will stop scrolling for is Earth Pics. They just post pictures of the most awesome sights on this planet. So, clearly they are worth viewing. Well Earth Pics had posted a new picture and I hit that up. This is what it said.

Floored. What if every second was a dollar?! I thought this one through for a long time and decided that more of my 86,400 would get burnt at the end of each day than I would like. The bank of time is not forgiving for any "money" wasted.

But then I thought, what is considered "wasted time"? I used some of my 86,400 daily dollars to decide what I considered a waste.

-worrying about anything.
-bitterness/jealousy/complaining
-gossiping
-mosquitoes
-cleaning a toilet bowl
-house cats

Clearly there are more. The first three of these are bigger issues than the others and affect me every day. Whenever any of those three are happening, I am burning my "time money" like it's nobody's business. Therefore, I am trying my best to drop them out of my life.

So what is not wasted time?

-time spent with God
-laughing
-funtivities
-work (God calls us to work and enjoy it)
-thrifting
-watching Lord of the Rings
-hanging with the people who build you up

Listen, we can't be too hard on ourselves. There is so much in life that is not wasted time. I often find myself tweaking out that I've been wasting so much time and not being productive in anything that I do. But then I go back and think about the year of 2013 thus far. Haiti, Kenya, Trin graduation, 3 jobs, 1 summer class, 1 school project, weddings, social life with all the friends who stayed in Chicago, a weekend on a house boat, making dinners in the village, the occasional movie, blueprints at Trinity, Hillsong United in concert and running every day. If I tweak out that I'm wasting time, that means I'm worrying that I'm doing something wrong, therefore wasting more time.

Money is tough. Nobody likes talking about their money situation and how everything is flipping expensive. But time is money right? I'm gonna try to spend mine wisely.

Everyone needs to listen to Hillsong United's album Zion.
Everyone needs to consider coming with me to Cedar Point because I want to go.
Everyone needs to have a great day and continue to live life as we know it :)


1 comment:

  1. I like looking back on a whole year's worth of activities for a good perspective on life.

    ReplyDelete