Thursday 1 May 2014

Club 11 Happenings. The end of an era.

"Nine companions. So be it. You shall be the fellowship of the ring."-Elrond

This year, nine of us chose to live in a house together in good old unincorporated Palos Heights. Although many of us knew each other really well, some of us had almost no prior experiences with each other. This created for an interesting experience, but we can all agree that it was full of highs and a few lows. In all honesty, there is no ring in what I'm going to be writing about, however, it could be renamed, 'the fellowship of the house' or something along those lines. 

At the beginning of the year, I wrote a bit about my housemates and what they were up to. Now, nearing the end of our time in the house, I just want to show some appreciation of who these guys are as people and how they have shaped me. 

Andrew Mulder

Mr. Mulder is just a wonderful soul, and I know everyone who knows him can attest to that. He is one of the easiest people to live with and his heart is in the right place. He will be graduating in May and will stick around the area probably working somewhere downtown in those huge buildings that all hold people with suits and ties and briefcases and coffee. Turns out some of my friends are going to be super professional, that's pretty cool. 

Ben De Young 

Mr. De Young is the goofiest goober of our house. Everyone in the room will inevitably be laughing when Ben speaks, does some impersonation or makes fun of himself. This kid is also tying the knot with his fiance this coming July, working his butt off to land an awesome job in a police force and manage his time now that college has ended for him. Keep your eyes peeled people, he might be the next person to pull you over, so drive the speed limit....or don't, your choice. 

Brandon Doorn

Mr. Doorn has quickly become someone who I will miss a lot when our time finally ends. He likes all the same shows I do and I can strike up a conversation with him on literally anything. He also will graduate in May, and as an accountant, had an internship this past semester which has been a fantastic experience for him. So we can chalk up another suit and tie professional on my list of housemates. He will be sticking around the area as well. 

Calob Lostutter

Mr. Lostutter may be the most unique individual that I know, in the best way possible. Living in the same room with him as been an excellent experience and I'm really that I got to know him during this past school year. Mr. Lostutter has been working as a fiber optics engineer, so if you know what that is, cool...if you don't, then you are in the same boat as I am. He will probably stick around the area and he will walk with all of us in May as well. I cannot wait to see where his life will take him. 

Colin Ebels

Mr. Ebels has been a great friend for a long time now. His quick retorts to any comment can have me doubled over in laughter, and even though I barely see him anymore, I will miss his commentary on life issues. He graduated in December and is also a criminal justice student. For now he is working in the area, but I'm excited to see him land a job in his field. If Ben doesn't pull you over, then maybe Colin will. Either way, I'm really stoked for my law enforcement friends and the exciting things in their future. 

Josh Pollema

Mr. Pollema is quite possibly the most fit person I have ever met. His passion is Cross Fit and I am so proud of his intense dedication, and as long as he doesn't completely kill himself doing something insane, I support him in his insane ventures with physical fitness. He is a teacher who graduated in December, and although he is teaching around here for now, I wouldn't be surprised if he moves away to teach at a Christian school, because that is what he wants to do. 

Matt Meyer

Mr. Meyer moved out of our house in December. In no way did I drop him as a roommate in my mind thought. He is part of our house, and shows it by visiting every once in a while. He is a wonderful person, who I really only got to know better this year, and I'm quite thankful for that opportunity. He is our third and final accountant from the house and has a job at his dad's company. He works long hours and has completely grown up into his professional career. Crazy

Ryan Busscher

Mr. Busscher is another friend that goes way back. He graduated in December and had a job in the area working looooong hours doing intense labor things. He has since landed a job in Indianapolis and has up and moved down there and seems to be doing well. He is doing exactly what he is supposed to be doing. I honestly couldn't think of a better place for him, so even though he is no longer around at all, I'm excited for what lies ahead for him.


Those are my guys. Praise the Lord that each one of them has employment for after graduation. To say that all nine of us have something right after we graduate is incredibly rare and I couldn't be more happy for each one of them. All of us are headed in completely different directions, some staying in the area, and others are moving away, but I know wherever they all end up, they will be a blessing to all who surround them. However, I can't even stop there with bragging about people around me. Here's a few more :)

Caleb Copeland: He's going to student teach in China next year. Like what. I couldn't be happier for him. 
Jessica Wiltjer: She's going to teach English in Peru for half a year. She's going to do so well at it and change lives.
My nursing friends: They are so close to being done with this intense schooling and then they will be on their way saving lives. So stoked for them and all their hard work put in.
Tyler Minnesma: Comes back from Kenya, lands a job in Wisconsin, plans to travel around the midwest for a month, graduate from Calvin, live at an archaeological dig for a summer in Jordan and then come back and work. What a goon. Love it.
Joseph Keller: He is teaching at Rehobeth in New Mexico next year!!! Ahhhhh!!
Gina Ciametti: She nailed her first year as an admissions counselor at Trinity and this school is so blessed to have her.
My Highland Girls: Kristin, Courtney, Tina, Cat, Ellie, Christina and Betsy all have huge things coming up for them in their different fields and all of them are going to go so far.
Cassie Winters: "Hi, my name is Cassie and I'm just going to go live in Togo, Africa for the summer." Like how stinking cool is that. She is on fire for God.
Brad VanderVelde: He already has an internship downtown lined up for next spring! Next stinking spring! He's on top of his game. 
Dara Veenstra: She's finishing the school year and then going to walk across the entire country of Spain. So that's pretty normal and everything...

In all honesty, the list could just keep going. These are all people in my life who have greatly impacted me, and each has provided support to me and to others in ways they don't even realize. By being faithful servants of our Creator, they have been completely blessed with these amazing opportunities to go out and spread the good news. I can't help but smile as I think about where God is leading each of the people in my life. 

Also, got a bunch of weddings this summer, so huge shoutout to my way too many friends who are getting married. Love you all. 

Although my time is ending in my house, I just look back and smile, I couldn't be more thankful.

"Here at last, on the shores of the sea... comes the end of our Fellowship." Gandalf

Peace and blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment