Wednesday 30 October 2013

It does not envy

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." 1 Corinthians 13

A few weeks ago I blogged about patience. Turns out, 1 Corinthians 13 has a bunch of blog topics. These four verses right here have enough to keep me going until at least 2014. Right now, easily the most applicable to my life is right at the beginning.

"It does not envy"

I mean, that's not even a sentence by itself, that's part of a sentence in part of a verse. But those four words are sooooo powerful that yes, it deserved all of those extra o's. Let's be real, we all get envious of others around us and I'm by no means excluded from this. In fact, it's one of my biggest demons.

Honestly, I think it comes naturally when I have such talented family and friends. For instance, take my family. If you haven't met them, let me know, I'll make it happen. Four of the best people that I have ever come in contact with. My parents taught me all there is to know about life, so if you ever think I'm a good person, you can thank them because they did it all. My brothers also are the funniest people I know. Don't try to find me people who are funnier because you just won't.

My friends. You all have heard and seen me brag about them. They are all blessings from God. Each of them is living their dream, I see it every day. There's so many of my friends who I just want to hug every time I see them.

Now comes the envy. When you are surrounded by such great people of God, it's so easy to see how other people have been blessed in various ways. Some rock at sports, some are more musically talented than I thought possible, some can challenge me in unbelievable ways, others make me laugh to the point of tears....many are combinations of these characteristics.

But love does not envy. If I love these people, I can't be bitter or jealous for what they have. True love does not have bitterness attached to it. That's a flipping challenge if I've ever heard one.

However, I'm blessed in so many ways, it's unreal. Who am I to be envious of others. Each person has to pursue the life that God has set out for them, and the talents and blessings that they have just help them live a life more pleasing to God. How cool is that? We get to use our gifts to please God. I'll call that a win.

I'm not perfect. I'm going to be bitter and envious about things, I'm sure others struggle with it too, but I just remember that I'm surrounded by the coolest people I know, and they clearly see the potential in me. I see the potential in so many people, I cannot wait to see what God does in each of the lives that I'm close to. So next time you are jealous of someone else, just remember that God blessed that person with that for a reason, now they just have to use it to further the kingdom.

So screw envy.

However, I do think it is valid to be envious of somebody who owns an Alaskan Husky cuz dang those dogs are on point.

Peace and Blessings.

1 comment:

  1. Awkward. I haven't met your family-- just your bro from Dordt.. So, when are you gonna make it happen? Ha. But I'm just joking.
    Also, Alaskan Huskies. You have good taste.

    ReplyDelete