Thursday 3 October 2013

Who let the dogs out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkuu0Lwb5EM


Everyone knows this classic song. I'm pretty sure I like 8 years old when this catchy tune came out. My cousins and I would sing this song all the time when we saw dogs in the street or on a walk and we would yell yippie yi yo. However, one thing always bothered me, and I'm sure that I am not alone in wondering this: So who actually let the dogs out?

The music video for this song starts with dogs actually getting let out of a cage, but the scene quickly switches over to more of a party atmosphere. Now, so many of today's songs are about partying and that whole life, I want to believe that the dogs in this song are actually dogs and not some sick metaphor. Let's all keep our childhoods intact yea?

So we have now established that real dogs did get out, but we are no closer to finding out who released these pups.

Now, as an avid dog lover I would say that if I walked past a cage full of dogs I would be sorely tempted to release them. No dogs deserve to be locked up. I mean, if you make eye contact with them you are so done for. Who can resist puppy eyes?



This is my old dog Mr. Bojangles. When he would look at me, I would do basically anything for him. So if he wanted out of the cage, I could be snuggled up under a blanket, sipping hot cider and watching a movie and I would still go get up and get him out.

 So honestly, I could totally see most of the human population releasing these dogs. However, I do not believe that is the intended meaning of this song that the Baha Men so easily made famous. I have another theory.

These dogs, although we have agreed they are real dogs, I think they stand for something. I think each dog is this crazy feeling, idea, emotion or something inside of each person that everybody can choose to release. This may be obscure but honestly, I think that each person has, is, or will be letting the dogs out. Let those puppies run free and live life to the fullest. Make each of those released dogs count! I want to let the dogs out right now. I will probably keep a few for myself because I love dogs and I really want a Siberian Husky so if I ever see one of those loose, I'm snatching it up, but I want to release the dogs.

I think we should all release the dogs. The Baha Men have it right in a way. Get crazy, have some fun, make memories, don't be afraid to let your awesome ideas fly loose and see where they go.

So in answer to the question, I think everybody let the dogs out.

No comments:

Post a Comment