Tuesday 15 October 2013

Love is patient

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." 1 Corinthians 13: 4-7

Everyone knows this chapter of the Bible. It is repeated to us so many times in sermons or weddings. However, when you take a second and look at what these verses are saying, you realize how much of a challenge this is. Take the first one, love is patient. I don't know about you, but patience is not something I am naturally gifted with. People frustrate me. Things frustrate me. Life frustrates me.

And God says trust in my plan, I've got your back...just be patient.

Oh.

How do you have patience when things aren't going the way you want them to? How can you just believe that God is going to work it out?

The answer is that we just do. We believe in a God that we cannot see. We believe in a God who is all powerful and is capable of doing everything imaginable. We as human beings, created in the image of our Lord are his children. Therefore, he has a plan for each of us. He's not going to leave us stranded, to do it all on our own. The key is that things happen in accordance to His plan, not ours. And as incredibly frustrating as that can be, it also provides a sense of peace because we do belong to ourselves, but to one God who will take care of each of us. Everyone is going to make a difference in this world, we just have to find the niche that God is calling us to. Some seem to find it before they can even walk, others, like myself, take a little bit longer to get it all together.

Patience, it's going to come together.

Since we believe in God's ultimate plan, we have to take each person, each situation and see the good in it. Every person is placed in our life for a reason, they will impact us somehow. Right now, I see God placing people in my life to teach me patience. I have a lot going on. I'm involved in a bunch of different things at my school and there's just always some people who drive me up a wall. However, I am trying my best each day to see the good that these people have to bring to the table. Give everybody a shot, maybe even a second chance....let's be real, God gives us more chances to do things right than any of us could ever deserve.

It's flipping tough. I struggle every day. But we should all strive to keep our tempers in check, to smile and be polite even when you just want to throw something. Take away positive interactions and experiences and in this way, we can all hopefully be more well rounded in how we handle our lives and see that patience is indeed a virtue that we should all strive for.

"How many a man has thrown up his hands at a time when a little more effort, a little more patience would have achieved success." Elbert Hubbard

"A man who is a master of patience is master of everything else." George Savile

"Patience---learn you must!" Yoda

 


2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Jake- a timely reminder I needed to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friend, thank you. Seriously what I need.

    ReplyDelete